[opencms-dev] I'm still having stability issues with OpenCMS

John Giammarche jgiammarche at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 20:58:24 CET 2004

--- tony <tony at tgds.net> wrote:

> Le mercredi 15 décembre 2004 à 10:53 -0800, John
> Giammarche a écrit :
> > Hello everyone...I'm still having problems with my
> > production server, but I'm closer to finding a
> > solution.
>
> > I paste below again my machine specs:
> >
> >  CPU: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz, HT enabled
> >  RAM: 256 MB
> >  Swap: 1 GB
> >  Kernel:  2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp
> >  OpenCMS version: 5.0.1 (Kaitain)
> >  Oracle version: Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.4.0 -
> >  Production
> >  Tomcat version: 4.1.31
> >  Apache version: 2.0.50
> >
> > I hope someone can help me, because this is a
> > production server and I have no clue...
>
> Um John... Do you have people connecting to your
> server? How many?

I don't know...maybe 10-30 visitors/hour. It's a
fairly big website though (the exported zipped module
weighs around 11 MB).

> In a production environnement you database server
> and you application
> server should be on separate machines. Especially if
> you are using
> Oracle 9i which must eat up a little RAM and some
> Java threads...

They are on different machines. The Oracle Database is
in a Xeon machine with 1 GB of RAM

> You need three tons of RAM if this is on the same
> machine (2Gb RAM+
> would be in the ballpark for an intranet server).
>
> Move to kernel 2.6 - it rocks.

I would, if I were in charge of the server, but it is
under the administration of another company.

> Good luck
>
> Tony Grant
> PS don't post that you don't have a clue... It could
> start some nasty
> jokes...

I don't know...I haven't seen any jokes on this
list...