[opencms-dev] I'm still having stability issues with OpenCMS

Brendon Price Brendon.Price at sytec.co.nz
Wed Dec 15 21:23:33 CET 2004

Hi John,

A couple of possible idea's on what could be happening:

1. We had a similar problem on our production Oracle 9i database server. Due to a misconfiguration of the switch it was connected to, the Linux machine negotiated a 100Mb Half-duplex connection which meant we experienced a huge number of collisions and dropped packets. When the server was under load it would lose and have to recreate the Oracle connections. This caused the front end server running Apache and Tomcat to spawn hundreds of Apache threads to deal with the backlog of requests. When we re-configured the network interface to be 100Mb full duplex the server recovered immediately and the 500 Apache threads dropped back to a manageable 40 threads.
I was surprised at the Huge impact this network setting had on the server. This may not be your issue but would be worth checking.

2. Oracle 9i and OpenCMS 5.0.0 had a deadlock issue that caused it to hang when creating new Oracle connections. The only way around this for us was to re-write the Data interaction layer using Oracle native connection pooling. Im not sure if the issue continued on into OpenCMS 5.0.1 but the whole data integration layer was re-written in OpenCMS 6.0 (so I think it has since been resolved in the newest version of the product).

I hope this provides some other things to look at.

Regards
Brendon