[opencms-dev] Best way to migrate opencms - See prior emails

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Fri Dec 17 04:09:08 CET 2004

At 03:39 AM 12/16/2004, Kosol Tuanveeradej wrote:

>    I have some question[s and I would like to] ask you for help. I have
> developed [a] website at one place and then I have [tried] to install
>the website at [an]other place. I use[d the] database management [tool] in
>[the] administration [facet of OpenCMS] to export web [content] and [I]
>use[d the] module management [tool] to export [OpenCMS] modules.
>    - After install[ing] OPENCMS at [a] client site and import[ing the]
> modules, I import[ed the] website [using the] database management [tool].
> I got some error about "not found user or usergroup" (I [had] create[d]
> some users and groups).
>
>I have tried some other solution[s, such as:]

>1. Export[ing the] database of OPENCMS and import[ing] it at [the] client
>site [using] Oracle['s] import tool. (I tried [this approach,] but I got
>some error, "resource not found");

>2. I have Export[ed the] database of OPENCMS and import[ed] at [the]
>client site only [the] table "cms_users" and "cms_groups," and import[ed
>the] module and website [using] opencms's tool.
>
>- My questions:

>-- What is the best way to migrate [a website]?

>-- Can I export all opencms database[s using]  Oracle and import [using]
>Oracle['s import tool] after install[ing] opencms -- [will it] work properly?
>   (i think i could [do this])
>
>Thank you [in] advance,
>Tar

Tar,

         I suggest that you read some prior emails, especially these:

1. From Alexander Kandizor:

         a) 27 Jun 2003, "Issues with OpenCMS."

         b) 12 May 2003, "Module export with directory."

2. From Andreas Zahner, 24 Oct. 2003, "Importing and exporting projects and
modules."

3. Mario Wallnofer, 28 Mar. 2003, "Copying projects."

4. Michael Dernen, 22 May 2001, "Backup a project."

5. Importing and exporting when users are involved:

         a) Alexander Kandzior, 18 Jun 2003, "User import."

         b) Joerg Opperman:

                 i) 11 Mar 2004, "How I can export users and groups with a
module?"

                 ii) 11 Mar 2004, "How I can export folders [using] a module."

         c) David Seikel, 2 Jul 2003, "Upgrade from 5.0 beta to 5.0 final."

I hope that helps (HTH).

Sincerely,
Paul Bain