[opencms-dev] New page cannot be created - XML templates

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Tue Jan 11 08:45:48 CET 2005

At 02:00 AM 1/11/2005, lists at rueth.info wrote:

>Hi Asawari,
>
>I had the same error message a year ago or so, so I cannot remember any
>details. But it seems to have to do with the Xerces version you are
>using. Locate the current xerces version of your Tomcat installation (I
>think it is in libs or libs/endorsed) and replace it with a newer
>Xerces version.
>
>By the way: Why are you still using frame-, content- and mastertemplate
>when creating a new page? As far as I am informed, this functionality
>won't be supported starting with OpenCms version 6.

         My understanding is that, in version 6 of OpenCMS, XML templates
will continue to be supported but will be deprecated. In other words, your
templates may still work, but you should convert them all to JSP templates.
In his email of 13 Feb. 2004, Alexander Kandzior stated that:

Version 6 will have support for legacy XmlTemplates, but only with an
additional .jar that will not be installed by default. All classes dealing
with XmlTemplates will stay in the com.opencms.* packages where they are
now. We consider XmlTemplate a 'dead' technology and will not support it
past the 6.0 release (at least with our own resources).

Sincerely,
Paul Bain