[opencms-dev] Repost: xml-content, encoding and export point

opencms at biberbeatz.de opencms at biberbeatz.de
Fri Jan 14 15:38:53 CET 2005

[...]

>QUESTION 1
>
>I'm getting strange characters on my OpenCms 6 alpha 3 generated web
>pages.
>German Umlaute cannot be displayed correctly, even when I set <meta
>HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html"; charset="ISO-8859-1">
in
>the
>HTML header. Sometimes (I cannot really reproduce when exactly)
OpenCms
>replaces German Umlaute in my xmlcontent files (edited by htmlarea)
with
>those strange characters.
>What do I have to do that everything runs smoothly?
>
>- Where can I change the OpenCms default encoding, which seems to be
>UTF-8,
>but I want ISO-8859-1?
>- Do I have to manually set the content-encoding for each file in
its
>properties?
>- Shall I rather use <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> as
>first
>line in my xmlcontent files?

In my template file I have the following line in the <head> tag

CHARSET="<cms:property name="content-encoding"
default="ISO-8859-1"/>">

The default is set to "ISO-8859-1". I think you can change it to
"UTF-8" there.
AFAIK the default value is set if no property for the file was set.

I am using OpenCms 6 Alpha 2 and have no problems regarding german
"Umlaut" as long as I use the dynamic pages.
If I do a static export I receive strange characters for the german
"Umlaut".
Changing the encoding in those static files to "UTF-8" resolved the
problem.

For me, it is strange that the exported pages have the problem and
the dynamic ones not. Any hints?

HTH,
Jan