[opencms-dev] * Form VALIDATION * Jakarta Commons & Struts

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at etnoteam.it
Wed Jan 19 08:23:43 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 20:37 -0500, Paul D. Bain wrote:

>         I am curious. Does anyone use the validator component of
> Jakarta commons with OpenCMS? See
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/   Do many OpenCMS
> developers use _any_ of the components from Jakarta commons? How many
> use _any_ such re-usable components?

We try to use as many as possible, and not only from Jakarta, but also
from OpenSymphony and others (JGroups, JCIFS, Hibernate, ...)

>         I would also like to know how many OpenCMS developers have
> abandoned Struts in favor of the JSP Standard Tag Library (JSTL),
> which renders obsolete at least two of the tag collections within
> Struts.

We use the struts-el variant included in the contrib section of the
struts package. It allows you to use EL constructs within Struts tags.
Anyway, Struts is primarily a Controller, so I don't see how it would be
rendered obsolete by JSTL, apart from its View part.

Tristan