AW: [opencms-dev] ver. 5 - News module - Troubleshooting

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Wed Jan 26 03:37:17 CET 2005

At 11:23 AM 1/25/2005, Daniel Beinlich wrote:

>Thank you for your help, but I have [had] no success [in] us[ing] this
>module. I have removed the module and I have
>installed it again. I have done everything that you [suggested in your
>prior email].

Dan,

         I do not know what is wrong. In this email, I shall make a few
guesses. Please remember this -- I am merely guessing, and you should not
rely too heavily on my guesses.

>These are the mistakes [sic; "errors"] in the log files:
>
>Opencms.log:
><opencms_critical>
>[com.opencms.file.CmsResourceTypePlain.importResource/1] User mark.miller
>not found

         Is that the only relevant line in the file OpenCMS.log? Are there
other lines in that file? Please do not make me prod you for information.
Please offer _all_ relevant information.

         This error message may mean that the news module depends on the
existence of an OpenCMS (OC) user whose name is "mark miller." Perhaps you
could try to create a new user (within OC) with that name, and you may need
to give him _full_ administrative privileges. Furthermore, you may need to
be logged in as that user when using the news module.

         Please search the OC email archives in order to determine whether
anyone else has posted a message containing this phrase, "User mark miller".

         You might benefit by increasing the amount of information in the
OC log file. You can do this by editing the main OC configuration file,
which is named "opencms.properties." In that file, go to the section whose
heading is "Logging parameters" (usually line 689 or thereabouts). Read
that section and configure your logging so that you can get more
information from OC. Of course, you will have to re-start your servlet
container (e.g., Tomcat) after you edit this file.

>Mysql.err:
>Aborted connection 81 to db: 'opencms' user: 'root' host: `localhost' (Got
>an error reading communication packets)

         I do not know what this means. Again, you could go to the MySQL
site and search the email archives for the phrase that you find in the log
in order to discern the meaning of the phrase.

         Remember that the file mysql.err is _different_ from the file
mysql.log. In this case, we are probably more interested in the latter than
the former.

>I can insert news entries and everything is wonderful, but when I try to
>view the NewsOverview.html in the demo
>(http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/system/modules/com.opencms.modules.homepage.news/demo/NewsOverview.html)
>I see this:
>]]> tablehead -1 ]]> Headline Description Author Date Link Channel ]]>
>id]]>headline ]]>description ]]>author ]]>date ]]>link ]]>channel ]]>
>
>When I try to view a single news entry
>(http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/system/modules/com.opencms.modules.homepage.news/demo/singleNews.html?id=1)
>I see this:
>Das gew?nschte Element existiert nicht! Id: ]]>id Headline: ]]>headline
>]]>date_start Date End: ]]>date_end Link: ]]>link Linktext: ]]>linkText
>Text: ]]>text Channel: ]]>channel A_info 1: ]]>a_info1 A_info 2:
>]]>a_info2 A_info 3: ]]>a_info3 Abstract: ]]>long_abstract ]]>
>
>Where are my mistakes? Please help me again

         Dan, henceforth, you may need to rely on the email archives for
help. Please learn how to search them. I am not sure that I can continue to
help you.