[opencms-dev] v6.0-beta3: the flexibility of elements?

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Feb 1 10:52:30 CET 2005

Dan,

Regarding your questions on elements:

> I have a question regarding the flexibility of elements of a
> page. In my understanding, a template consists of elements,
> such as a "body" or even an "item".
>
> Is it possible to have kind of a list of "items", that can
> not only be edited but also added and removed by an editor?
> I'm thinking of a list of people working in a company. Is it
> possible to have an element "people" consisting of a picture
> and a text, that can be added to the page by an editor
> without having to edit the template?

Something like this is possible. To do so you must structure the template
accordingly, i.e. write some JSP code. What is often done is having a
template configurable by properties. One special property would be
controlling if the "people" element is displayed. Usually, this property
would point to a file in the VFS which is an XML content element. If the
property is not set then the element is not displayed.

> Is it allowed for such a "people" element to set permissions
> for "adding", "editing" and "removing"?

If this is done as I have described above, then the "adding and removing" is
property-controlled, and changing properties requires write premission on
the page istself. However since the element is in another file, the editing
of the element requires permission on this file.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts