[opencms-dev] XML structured content & product data

Jose Felix Hernandez josefelixh at herbert.sytes.net
Thu Feb 3 23:00:25 CET 2005

Hi there,

I am evaluating OpenCms, my intention is to develop a module for e-business.
Basically a virtual shop, with some other features as assortments,
promotions, merchants, and whatever valuable I can think of.

I have read in the documentation that with the XML structured content is
possible to create content of articles, products descriptions, etc. But when
I try to create a new resource of type "Structured Content", there is only a
choice between "Article", "widgetdemo", "bookmark" and "Generic XML content".
I have installed the OpenCms 6.0 alpha 3 version.

So my question is; Is the content type Product going to be included on
future releases? Or should I write a specification for that kind of content?

One other thing is that I am thinking about the possibility of develop these
new data models using EJBs and then create a module with an interface for
OpenCms to access these new objects and retrieve the content, but I will
loose some of the grate advantages of OpenCms. The only thing driving me to
do this is that later on it will be easier to do bulk uploads to the
database of product data. I don't know how difficult this could be using the
OpenCms database features.

Can anybody give me any advice?

Best Regards.

José F. Hernández