[opencms-dev] Config failure - .War file deployed?

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Sun Feb 13 11:36:35 CET 2005

At 08:09 PM 2/12/2005, Graham Leggett wrote:

>Following the install instructions at
>http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/development/installation/server.html#5,
>I access the URL /opencms/ocssetup, expecting to see a configuration
>screen allowing me to configure opencms.
>
>Instead I get the following message in my logfile:

Graham,

         By the term "logfile," I presume that you mean the file
"catalina.out," the logfile for Tomcat -- is that correct?

>2005-02-12 18:58:45 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve at 63b2e6:
>Exception
>  Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=404, location=/opencms/handle404]
>javax.servlet.ServletException: OpenCms not properly configured!
>         at org.opencms.main.OpenCmsServlet.doGet(OpenCmsServlet.java:96)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
>icationFilterChain.java:252)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
>ilterChain.java:173)
>
>The error 404 would imply that the "ocssetup" URL no longer exists. Is it
>possible to update the docs to reflect this change? What is the correct
>setup URL to use?

         If the opencms.war file has not been deployed, then, of course,
that URL will not exist. Read the instructions again:

</begin> -------------------------

Important: OpenCms requires that its *.war file [be] unpacked. OpenCms can
not be deployed as [a] war file only. Make sure Tomcat does unpack the war
file and creates the CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opencms/ directory, placing the
OpenCms files in this directory.

------------------------------- </end>

         If you have further difficulties, please supply the information
below. You are more likely to get help if we do not have to prod you for
information!!

A. The most recent contents of these log files:

         1. opencms.log
         2. catalina.out -- if you are using Tomcat
         3. The MySQL log file -- on Debian Linux, it is <hostname>.log

B. Your environment and configuration:

-- OpenCMS (OC) version number, for example (e.g.), ver. 5 or ver. 6.
-- Servlet container and its version number, e.g., Tomcat (ver. 4 or 5.x),
Jetty, or Resin.
-- RDBMS and its version number, e.g., MySQL (ver 3.2x or 4.x), Oracle, or
MS SQL Server.
-- JDK, including both: (a) compiler and its version (e.g., Sun, Blackdown,
IBM's Jikes, or GCJ), and (b) JVM and its version, e.g., Kaffe.
-- Operating system and its version, and, if using Linux, the distribution
and its version number, too. For example:

                 -- Red Hat Enterprise Linux, ver. 3
                 -- SuSe Linux, ver. 9
                 -- Debian Woody or Debian Sarge ("Testing")

-- If you are using Linux, state whether you installed the software
packages above using a package management system (e.g., RPM, dpkg, Stow,
emerge, or "Apt for RPM") or manually instead.
-- The version of the JDBC driver is probably not necessary unless you have
replaced the JDBC driver that the OC setup wizard installs during the OC
installation.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain