[opencms-dev] Vague error message: "OpenCms not properly configured!"

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Feb 13 14:33:55 CET 2005

Hi,

Deciding to soldier on with opencms in the hope that the strange
failures during the install process might show themselves up as
meaningful errors, I clicked on "finish" to access the website's main URL.

This brought up a page showing the following exception:

2005-02-13 07:24:35 StandardWrapperValve[OpenCmsServlet]:
Servlet.service() for
servlet OpenCmsServlet threw exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: OpenCms not properly configured!
         at org.opencms.main.OpenCmsServlet.doGet(OpenCmsServlet.java:96)

Thinking that maybe the real exception was hidden inside localhost_log_*
for security reasons, I checked that logfile, to find the exact same
exception and no further details.

At this point all I know is that CMS is not properly configured,
something I kinda figure out for myself through the failures encountered
during the configure process. I do not however know whether the issue
opencms is complaining about is related to a missing file, a missing
setting, a missing database connection, no clues are left for the end user.

Is there a flag inside the Opencms config files somewhere called "enable
human readable explanatory error messages"?

Regards,
Graham