[opencms-dev] Import workplace fails: many NullPointerExceptions

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Feb 13 15:28:53 CET 2005

Graham Leggett wrote:

> While trying to import a workplace during setup of opencms v6 alpha 3
> against a Postgres database, the following NullPointerExceptions are
> thrown. Opencms has been unpacked into a tomcat v5.0.30 container on
> Sun's JDK v1.4.2.

On a hunch, I decided to try and reinstall everything from scratch, but
keeping the same database tables.

I went through the install procedures, told it not to create either
tables or users, ignored the warning about no database being created
(knowing that one already existed), and tried the workspace import
procedure again.

This time the import procedure worked.

It seems that it is possible to pass the Postgres database creation step
without a valid database config being present, which triggers unhandled
exceptions in the downstream code.

The primary use case (where the user enters the exact correct paramaters
the first time they use the software) seems to work, but none of the
alternate use cases (where the user entered something incorrectly, and
had to press "back" to get it corrected) are supported.

Regards,
Graham