[opencms-dev] Postgres set fails: Database "postgres" does not exist

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Feb 13 18:48:07 CET 2005

tony wrote:

> You need to create a database called "opencms" before starting the
> opencms setup process.

What for? I may choose to install many instances of opencms against
different databases, there is little reason to choose "opencms", as it
implies only one instance of opencms will ever exist on that machine.

Not to mention that the requirement to create this "opencms" database is
not documented anywhere. :(

> This is common procedure when setting up a new
> database with PostgreSQL use command "createdb -E {encoding desired}
> opencms".

The common procedure for Postgres to link to the database "template1",
and then use this connection to create users and additional databases.

> Then when you run the setup it will find the db in the system
> catalogue, drop it and then recreate and populate it.
>
> Hope that helps

Seriously - this setup procedure makes no sense whatsoever. I was able
to reverse engineer most of the process to figure out what was really
happening, but for anybody trying to set up opencms who isn't a java
programmer isn't going to have the faintest clue where to begin :(

Regards,
Graham