[opencms-dev] Opencms / SQL Server 2000 Performance Problems

PabloLuis.BaezaBacaicoa at telefonicasoluciones.com PabloLuis.BaezaBacaicoa at telefonicasoluciones.com
Tue Feb 15 16:05:37 CET 2005

Hi,

We are experimenting performance problems with our Opencms / SQL Server
2000 enviroment. The navigation in the Opencms Administration System and
the Web is extremly slow. We measured the difference between the same
installation with SQL Server and MySQL and MySQL is at least six times
faster than SQL Server. In some web pages with SQL Server it takes 30
seconds or more to receive results of the web page.

We're trying now to transform every query of "mssql/query.properties" file in Store Procedures of SQL Server as it was suggested by Geoff Winkless in the post:

http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2004q1/009576.html

In the first tests we made with Store procedures it seems it goes much
faster. The question is:

¿Is there any other choice for solving this importante performance problem
with SQL Server 2000?,

This solution of Store Procedures it doesn't seem logic. The Database is
not as heavy for thinking in Store Procedures. Also this solution modifies
the code of opencms as it is, and we would not prefer to do it so.

If anybody knows other kind of solution to this problem or know which is
exactly the problem is please contact us (pbaezab at telefonicasoluciones.com)

Thanks in advanced. Next you can see the details of our installation:

Details of our Installation

Front-End Server

Windows 2000 Server  SP4
J2SE 1.4.2 SDK
Tomcat 4.1.30
OpenCms 5.0.1
JDBC (We tried several ones: Microsoft SQL JDBC Driver, JSQLConnect,

Backoffice Server

Windows 2000 Server SP4
SQL Server 2000 SP3a

Pablo Baeza Bacaicoa