[opencms-dev] Install version - Tomcat 5.0.19 & JDK 1.4.2

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Wed Feb 16 04:07:39 CET 2005

At 07:58 PM 2/15/2005, P.Hill & E.Goodall wrote:

>I guess I'm at a loss to understand which way to go.
>What combination has this release been tested on?

Paul,

         I have installed OC several times on Tomcat (TC) 4.x, MySQL ver.
3.23, and Sun's JDK 1.4.1, usually on Debian Linux ("Woody") but also on
Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Many users report success with a similar environment.

>I thought I'd try Tomcat 5.0.30 the latest (non-beta)
>release.

         You might also try TC ver. 4.x -- it works for me and others, too.

>   Only because, it is the furthest from being
>fully current.
>
>By the way, should there be NOTHING in the datatables
>once I have run the installation wizard?
>
>If I knew what to look for I could check around to
>see how the install did.
>
>FYI, plenty of restarts tomcat involved, so it's not that.
>
>-Paul
>

>JDK version:       JDK 1.4.2_05
>Servlet engine:    Apache Tomcat/5.0.19
>Database           MySQL 4.0.18

         OK, _that_ could be the problem -- your version of MySQL. I
suggest that you try version 3.23. Why? See this email:

1.  From Lynn Guy, 9 Feb. 2005, "Error during installation."

         In that email, Lynn Guy suggests that she was not able to install
OC ver. 5.0.1 using MySQL 4.x and had to revert to version 3.23. At any
rate, that is how I interpreted her email, which was not entirely clear.

         If that does not work, then try reverting to TC ver. 4.x or JDK
ver. 1.4.1. FWIW, Olli Aro reports that OC ver. 5.x does not work with Java
5, or JDK 1.5. See his email from 19 Jan. 2005.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain