[opencms-dev] static publishing question

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Fri Feb 18 09:57:41 CET 2005

When you publish a resource or a project as part of the regular
workflow, resources marked for static export will be exported. Setup
controls what resources are considered marked for static export.
So only the relevant parts gets re-exported.
Only problem is that interdependencies among your pages can cause other
exported pages to become out-of-date (say because you added a new page
and thus menus on otherwise untouched pages need to be updated). For
this reason you may need to export more than just the page you've added
or edited. There are various means to do that, OpenCms includes a
static export function that will export the entire site and thus update
all pages.
My preferred setup is to have binary resources (images, PDFs) exported,
but leave the regular pages (which may depend on other pages) be served
dynamically (or from the cache).
Mind you this is OpenCms 5.0.x - I haven't looked into static export in
relation to v.6, seem to recall that this is one area where there are
some changes.

Claus