[opencms-dev] Re: Install version - If not the MySQL ver., the JDBC driver?

P. Hill goodhill at xmission.com
Mon Feb 21 23:05:06 CET 2005

Paul D. Bain wrote:
>> P.Hill wrote:
>>> I'm just starting with OpenCMS. JDK version:    1.4.2_05
>>> Servlet engine:    Apache Tomcat/5.0.19
>>
>>   OpenCMS 5.0.1
>>
>> Using a separate installation of MySQL 3.23 everything worked fine.
>> Is it the DB version? Maybe.
[...]
>         Well, if it was not the version of MySQL that caused the
> installation failure, perhaps it was the version of the JDBC driver that
> you were using. After all, what else could have caused the installation
> to fail? I think that we had already determined that OpenCms (OC) ver.
> 5.0.1 works on your versions of the JDK and (I think) Tomcat.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  The MYSQL installation I was using
was already residing on my system, because I was using it for other
purposes (developing the previous version of website I'd like to move to
OpenCMS).  Whatever properties were set, whatever user priviledges are
required by the OpenCMS etc. may or may not have been correct.  The
installation process doesn't say what the user account to use must
have, or what other more (or less) esoteric configuration of MySQL is
appropriate.  Starting with a clean installation just gets all
those issues out of the way.  It doesn't help us decide what was
incompatible with the MySQL running on my system.  The version number
may be a red herring.

>         Have you had a chance to try to install OC 5.0.1 on MySQL ver.
> 4.x? If so, I am curious as to which versions of the MySQL JDBC driver
> work and which do not.

That's nice, but I'm using the (fat) install of OpenCMS 5.0 "as is".
After all I'm new at OpenCMS, I didn't want to start taking things apart
even before I got them working.

-Paul