[opencms] [opencms-dev] openCMS 6 beta 2 - Categorization of StructuredContent

Jorge González informatico at hotelparadisepark.com
Tue Apr 12 13:20:48 CEST 2005

Well, this is not the best approach, but actually i'm using a folder tree
with sibilings to categorize the xml content objects.

So, there is a main content branch, containing the contents organized by a
unique key, "location" for example.

So we have a  (this is an example)
/contents/place/world/europe/france/paris.xml content

And sibilings to this content
/categories/cities/paris.xml --> .../france/paris.xml

Well, an easy shot.

This kind of tree is good enought for navigation, but terrible for checking
"which categories has "paris".

This is one of the reasons for inventing "relational" databases and one of
the real problems of "plain xml file database" persistence used in ocms.

So, my final though:

This is the content flow used (afaik) in ocms

Reading contents

(1)DATABASE (relational)  ---(2)--->  (3) XML   ----(4)---->   HTML

1. The database store xml files, plain text strings
2. The contents are recovered (plain)
3. The xml file is the real content model we want to think about.
4. The xml is transformed (various ways) into html, this is the 'view' part
of the flow.

Well, we have a problem in (3) because we want relationships, and we only
have plain files. We could build a relationship system on the xml layer, but
we are working on plain files database, and that's very slow isn't it ?

Why don't we use the relational database ? (probably too complex, i
guess...)