[opencms] [opencms-dev] openCMS 6 beta 2 - Categorization of StructuredContent

bart vandendriessche bart at nascom.be
Tue Apr 12 14:29:51 CEST 2005

Thanks for the reply, a few remarks:
 From a user point of view, it is easier to be able to select a category
when creating a specific content. It is in my opinion quite error prone
to have to create a sibling of every type of content under the
appropriate directory structure. This might be feasible for content that
is not added very often, but for things like arcticles or newsposts,
remembering to create a sibling in the appropriate folder is cumbersome.
Also, imagine a content type that can belong to multiple categories, you
would have to create a extra sibling for every category, leading to more
confusion.

It might be more work initialy to try and make some sort of widget that
would contain a list of available categories, but i'm quite sure in the
long run it would pay off in terms of maintainability and flexibility.
Also handling multiple categories would be easier to manage, there
should only be some kind of validation that checks if a user selected
the same category twice (or more).
The downside I see to working with a separate Structured Content for
every type of category, is that you would have to have one path were you
hold them, and then hardcode this path into the widget (allthough it
might be possible to deal with this through using properties on the
original content xsd).

Best regards,
Bart Vandendriessche