[opencms-dev] Re: Re: Can templateone really provide e-mail sending?

Domenico De Seta domenico.deseta at tiscali.it
Wed May 4 19:16:07 CEST 2005

 Hello, Robert Petermeier wrote:

>Sending E-Mails is not templateone functionality but part of the
OpenCms
>API. It extends the commons e-mail library in that it reads the
>mailserver settings from the OpenCms configuration files. What you have

>to do is the following:
>
>1. Configure the e-mail server in opencms-system.xml.
>2. In a JSP or JavaBean, construct a new CmsHtmlMail object.
>3. Use the various setXxx() methods to set recipients, subject, etc. 4.
use send() to send it.

>It's rather simple so if it still won't work you should make sure there
are no problems with the server, firewall, network, ...

Thank you Robert, but :

  as far as point 1. ia concerned I don’t know what to put in the
opencms-system.xml lines:

<mail>

<mailfrom>nobody at nowhere.com</mailfrom>
                                   <mailhost name="my.smtp.server"
protocol="smtp" user="username" password="secure"/>
                                   <mailhost
name="alternative.smtp.server"/>
                                   <mailhost
name="another.alternative.smtp.server"/>
</mail>

in place of  :   “nobody at nowhere.com”  and  "my.smtp.server"

Thomas Maerz in  a previous answer to my question replied:

“IMHO the names are very well describing themselves. Take a look here
and copy your settings from Outlook.
E. g. "my.smtp.server" is "Outgoing mail server (SMTP)".

To him I replied:

do you mean I have to use my e-mail client account settings? I was
thinking that since the recommend message has to be sent by the Opencms
server it was necessary to properly configure “its” mail server… I am a
little bit confused so please if you can explain better what goes on
behind the sending of e-mail messages from opencms .jsp files.

I didn’t receive any clarification of what Thomas had suggested…and
still I don’t understand how to “configure the e-mail server”.

Robert, could you explain more in detail how to proceed?

Thank you again

Domenico