[opencms-dev] Again on sending the "Recommend Page" from a templateone-based web site (6.0.2)

Domenico De Seta domenico.deseta at tiscali.it
Wed May 11 11:23:51 CEST 2005

Hello everybody,

after implementing a sample site based on the templateone  template that
comes with Opemcms 6.0 beta 2 version I tried to use the built-in
feature of sending a “Recommend-this-page” e-mail to interested people:
this should be possible by clicking on an ”letter-like” icon in the foot
bar of the template. Doing this a form pops up that requires a minimum
of filling (recipient’s e-mail address, mail text): then, clicking on
the “send” button, after a second or so a confirmation message pops up
in a new window, Starting with “Thank you for your submission!” and
ending with “The recommendation has been successfully sent”. But
actually nothing has been sent! Why?

In the logfile one can see under the Administration view the following
message is shown:

11 mag 2005 10:47:15,428 ERROR [teone.CmsTemplateFormRecommend: 165]
Could not send recommend form data from page
/system/modules/org.opencms.frontend.templateone/pages/recommend.html

 What’s going on?

So far my conclusions are very poor: you should only have to properly
set the opencms-system.xml configuration file. Actually  the following
lines are of interest here:

<mail>
<mailfrom></mailfrom>
                                   <mailhost name="my.smtp.server"
protocol="smtp" user="username" password="secure"/>
                                   <mailhost
name="alternative.smtp.server"/>
                                   <mailhost
name="another.alternative.smtp.server"/>
</mail>

OK: in place of  "my.smtp.server" , "username" and  "secure" I put the
hostname, the username and the password of my own mail account. Big
question no.1: is this correct?

It is a couple of weeks that I am investigating about what happens
behind this feature, learning a lot on e-mail servers, SMNP, POP3
…Anyway,  I don’t think one has to become an expert in e-mail software
to use Opencms mailing capabilities. So I am trying to get the right
information from the right people on this mailing-list: has anybody
succeded in sending the Recommend page form a templateone-based website?

I am still fighting…