[opencms-dev] Heip

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Mon May 23 02:21:29 CEST 2005

Patrick Donker wrote:

> [...]

Patrick,

	First, I have seen the documentation of _many_ OSS projects, and, in
comparison to most of them, the documentation for OC is, without
question, among the best. I do not know of any other OSS project that
has better documentation. That is not to say, of course, that the
documentation could not be improved. There are still too many "features"
in OC that are not documented.

	Second, there are at least two reasons as to why "this is common
practice in OSS land." Most software developers prefer to write code
rather than write documentation, and OSS developers tend to regard their
code itself as documentation -- if you need to know how the software
works, you can simply read the source code. Many users of OC seem to do
precisely that.

	Third, OSS is already "a serious competitor" to proprietary software.
Hell, Linux is clobbering both Solaris and MS Windows. If current trends
continue, Solaris will be _gone_ in just a few years, as will all of the
other proprietary versions of Unix.

--Paul Bain