[opencms-dev] Re: Installation issues

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Tue May 24 05:20:46 CEST 2005

Ethan Baldridge wrote:
>><ethan <at> 35mmeyes.com> writes:
>>>
>>>And in tomcat.out I see this:
>>>
>>>log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
>>>java.io.FileNotFoundException: opencms_init.log (Permission denied)
>>>   at java.io.FileDescriptor.open(java.lang.String, int)
>>>(/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
>>>
>>>Does anybody know what the problem is? My boss is seriously breathing down
>>>my neck here.

Ethan,

	Bosses do that because they think that web administration, including
the administration of a complex web application (such as OpenCms) is
trivially easy. They truly do. Why? I do not know. Perhaps they think
that because web administration is easy on Linux (or Unix) because it is
easy on Windows with respect to IIS. Maybe bosses think that installing
a complex web application is merely a matter of clicking on a few
buttons and filling in a few text boxes (as it probably is on Windows).

	The majority of the bosses that I have had thought that web
administration was trivially easy.  What a bunch of morons!

>>Perhaps review your file permissions?
>>
>>java.io.FileNotFoundException: opencms_init.log (Permission denied)
>>
>>Just guessing.
>

> Perhaps, but where? Tomcat can extract the webapp and create the
> directory just fine, so it's not the webapps dir that needs
> different permissions. I'm guessing the other error is the real one
> and this one is just a result of it not being configured yet. I could
> be wrong though.

	There should be an easy way to determine whether it is a permissions
problem: Run tomcat as the root user (superuser). If you do _not_
encounter a problem, then that result would tend to confirm that the
problem was a permissions problem.

	Finally, read this:

TROUBLESHOOTING OPENCMS
==================================

Please do NOT post a request for help to this list until you have
searched the list's archives. Furthermore, when requesting help, try to
supply the information below. We are more likely to help you if we do
not have to prod you for information!!

A. The most recent contents of these log files:

	1. opencms.log
	2. catalina.out -- if you are using Tomcat
	3. The MySQL log file -- on Debian Linux, it is <hostname>.log The file
"mysql.err" is _different_ from this file.

B. Your environment and configuration, in rough order of importance:

1. OpenCMS (OC) version number, for example (e.g.), ver. 5 or ver. 6.
2. Servlet container and its version number, e.g., Tomcat (ver. 4 or
5.x), Jetty, or Resin.
3. RDBMS and its version number, e.g., MySQL (ver 3.2x or 4.x), Oracle,
or MS SQL Server.
4. JDK, including both: (a) compiler and its version (e.g., Sun,
Blackdown, IBM's Jikes, or GCJ), and (b) JVM and its version, e.g., Kaffe.
5. Operating system and its version, and, if using Linux, the
distribution and its version number, too. For example:

		a) Red Hat Enterprise Linux, ver. 3
		b) SuSe Linux, ver. 9.1
		c) Debian Woody or Debian Sarge ("Testing")

6. If you are using Linux, state whether you installed the software
packages above using a package management system (e.g., RPM, dpkg, Stow,
emerge, or "Apt for RPM") or manually instead.
7. The version of the JDBC driver is probably not necessary unless you
have replaced the JDBC driver that the OC setup wizard installs during
the OC installation.

C. Configuration files

	Sometimes, the contents of the primary OC configuration files are
important, especially if you have edited them:

	1. opencms.properties
	2. registry.xml

I understand that OC ver. 6 has more configuration files, but, at this
moment, I cannot remember their names.