[opencms-dev] Re: Installation issues - Incompatible compiler & JRE

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Tue May 24 23:03:58 CEST 2005

cherif wrote:

> Hi Ethan,
> At what [step] of the installation process are you getting this error?
> Also you say [that you are] using Tomcat 4.1.27 - from Fedora Core 2  ?
> and why J2RE 1.4.2  instead of  the jdk  ([sometimes] it's better to use the
> jsdk) ?

	Yes, this could be the source of his difficulty. See my comment below.

> I am using:
>

>>OpenCMS 6.0beta3
>>Tomcat 5.5.9
>>MySQL 4.1.11 -  RPM
>>jskd1_5_0_03-linux-i386
>>Linux Fedora Core 3
>

> this really should work

Ethan,

	Good. I am pleased to hear that.

>>but
>>the real problem is the "java.lang.Error: Not implemented" message. I
>>looked in the mailing list archives for a long time before posting because
>>I couldn't believe that nobody had ever run into this before. Usually I
>>just copy/paste an error message into Google and I have the answer to my
>>problem instantly.
>>
>>OpenCMS 6.0beta3
>>Tomcat 4.1.27 - from Fedora Core 2
>>MySQL 4.1.10a - from RPM
>>J2RE 1.4.2 - from sun
>>Linux 2.6.10 (Fedora Core 2)
>>
>>I have not edited the OC config files.
>>
>>Once again,

Uh, "once *again*?" I did not find this error mentioned in your prior
emails on this matter. This email represents the first time that you
have mentioned encountering this particular error ("Not implemented").

>> here is the error:
>>
>>from localhost.log:

What is this file, "localhost.log?" Is it opencms.log, catalina.out, or
something else? Does version 6 of OC use a name for its log file that is
different than the name that version 5 used? Version 5 used the name
"opencms.log". It did not use the name "localhost.log".

>>2005-05-24 10:36:55 StandardContext[/opencms]: Error configuring
>>application listener of class org.opencms.main.OpenCmsListener
>>java.lang.Error: Not implemented
>>   at java.util.regex.Pattern.Pattern(java.lang.String, int)
>>(/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
>>   at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(java.lang.String, int)
>>(/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
>>   at org.opencms.util.CmsStringUtil.<clinit>() (Unknown Source)
>>   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
>>   at _Jv_ResolvePoolEntry(java.lang.Class, int)
>
> (/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)

	Now, I am confused. The line above implies that you are using GCJ, the
Java part of the compiler GCC. Above, however, you stated that you were
using this:

>>J2RE 1.4.2 - from sun

So, you are using GCJ to compile your Java source code, but JRE 1.4.2
(from Sun) to execute your Java bytecode? Is that correct? And this
version of GCJ corresponds to Java _5_ (probably corresponding to JDK
1.5), not Java 2, which corresponds to the
JRE 1.4.2? Is that also
correct? I wonder if this unusual configuration could be the cause of
your problem.
Typically, I download my JDK from either Blackdown.org or Sun's Java
site, and then use that JDK to both compile source code and execute
bytecode. That way, I am assured that the versions of my compiler and
JRE are compatible. It is possible to "mix-and-match" compilers and
JRE's, as you have done, but this practice does not seem to be the norm.

>>   at org.opencms.util.CmsFileUtil.normalizePath(java.lang.String, char)
>>(Unknown Source)
>>   at org.opencms.main.CmsLog.<clinit>() (Unknown Source)
>>   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
>>   at _Jv_ResolvePoolEntry(java.lang.Class, int)
>
> (/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)

	One final item: PLEASE REMEMBER TO TRIM YOUR POSTS!

Sincerely,
Paul Bain