[opencms-dev] Re: Installation issues - Incompatible compiler & JRE

Ethan Baldridge ethan at 35mmeyes.com
Wed May 25 00:12:21 CEST 2005

Installing the SDK instead of the RE didn't solve the issue, the error
message seems to suggest though that the problem is probably in the
compile stage, before it even hits the runtime.

Honestly, I don't know what it's using to run the bytecode - I don't see
an option to change it in any of the files in /etc/tomcat. I merely
assumed it was the java runtime environment. I also don't see an option
to change what it compiles with, but I assume it's gcj both from the
error messages and also the fact that the RPM of tomcat installed has a
dependency on gcj. Since the RPM required it, I assumed that was normal
and not needed to explain. I apologize if my assumption was incorrect.

Tomcat itself works just fine, I can view the examples and whatnot
perfectly.

localhost is the name of the default virtual host served by tomcat - I
haven't seen a need to change the name, which is after all, merely a
reference. The log file produced by tomcat for this virtual host is
therefore, localhost.log

I appreciate you're trying to help, but I think you're being a little
confrontational. I did post the error message in my earlier email, in
fact it was at the very top of it. I will quote the first few lines
below.

---

I'm having issues installing opencms. Tomcat extracts the webapp fine,
but
I can't connect to localhost:8080/opencms/setup or /opencms/ocsetup

In localhost.log I see this error:

2005-05-20 20:15:51 StandardContext[/opencms]: Error configuring
application listener of class org.opencms.main.OpenCmsListener
java.lang.Error: Not implemented
   at java.util.regex.Pattern.Pattern(java.lang.String, int)
(/usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0)

I understand that you answer a lot of silly questions on this list, and
I understand that mine may simply be another one. I have been doing Unix
systems administration for 7 years, on Solaris and Linux, and I did
seriously read all the documentation I could find and I searched the web
diligently for solutions earlier. The mailing list was honestly my last
resort, because I don't like to bother people. I am simply stumped.

Thanks,
Ethan