[opencms-dev] TemplateOne questions

Joe McFadden Joe.McFadden at icr.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 17:40:59 CEST 2005

Arash,

Thanks for the very helpful reply.

I can see that sites root under the sites dropdown - not sure how I
managed to miss that!

I meant I'd like to keep a copy of the 'out-of-the-box' templateOne
code,
in case I needed to go back to it or refer to it. Your suggestion of
creating a new module for this makes sense and I will try that.

As a follow-on question, I'm still a little unclear on how best to
start a new project in OpenCMS.

If I want to have 2 separate content areas (with different groups of
editors) for an intranet site,
with the potential to add further content areas in the future, what is
the best way to manage this in OpenCMS?

I've just bought Matt Butchers book on OpenCMS, and from a quick read I
think I should first create a site module,
to contain all the templates, css, scripts etc for the Intranet as a
whole. I should then set up projects for the 2
content areas (e.g. 'department1', 'department2'), and set up
permissions and users/groups as required.

Have I understood this correctly? We may want to manage other sites
from the same openCMS in the future,
so I assume this is just a case of creating separate site modules for
each site.

Finally, what is the effect of making a folder of type 'microsite'?

Thanks again for any help and pointers,

Cheers,
Joe

>>> ark-d at betasystems.com 02/06/2005 13:53:12 >>>

Joe,

> 3. In OpenCMS 5 you could see the system folder in the VFS and edit
> templates there.
>     I've logged in as Admin, but I can't see the system folder. How
do
> I actually edit the template?

change to the sites root ( / ) from the sites dropdown box, if you
can't
see the sites root as admin, then you have to make  a new installtion.

> 2. If I want to set up the test site in a way that some test users
only
> see one folder,
>     how do I this? Is this the purpose of the 'microsite' folder?

with permissions you can allow. disallow users to see a folder or not.

How best do I copy the TemplateOne template so I also have an
> unedited copy?
>     I found on the list archive other people asking this question,
but
> no answers!

what do you mean with "unedited copy" ?

if you want to clone templateone create a new module and copy all
resources
under templateone to your module and modify the manifest.xml of your
module
to have the xmlcontent definitions etc.. as templateone.

HTH,

Best Regards,
Arash Kaffamanesh