[opencms-dev] Lucene Search in OpenCms 6

Andras Balogh andras at reea.net
Wed Jun 8 12:32:55 CEST 2005

Hello Peter,

Peter korn wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>i have to use the Lucene search in OpenCms 6. Searching the html pages is
>very easy now, but in addition i have to search content from a module that
>reads all from a second Database.
>I think i have to add a new index class and a new documenttype class?

I think not, see below.

>Is there any documentation on how to do it besides the javadocs?
>

>Thanks for any hints,

As you have said i'm only able to give some hints. I once was faced to
the same issue and made this logical thinking:
Lucene to work it needs to create an index.
The big question is what it indexes? It indexes resources from VFS like
xmlpages, pdfs etc.
So as long is your data from the second database is not a VFS resource
it will NOT be indexed so you created the index
class in vain.
This is my understanding of the system and i abandoned the idea of doing
the search in "my data" from a second database
with Lucene.
Things are getting much easier i think with OC6 you can create XML
structured content and that will be indexed by Lucene.
As i said this is just a hint to see that the problem is more complex
than you first thought, but maybe an opencms expert
needs to confirm this so don't take it as bullet proof.

>Peter

Best regards,
Andras.