[opencms-dev] Site-DropDown-Menu

Anatol opencms at recordcaster.de
Thu Jun 9 00:33:09 CEST 2005

Hi Wolfgang, hi all!

Huargh! That's all very, very complex! Your hint to change the "Start
with site" Configuration was realy not bad! :-) But only one of at least
1 million problems, and facts ... don't know, if I can descripe them
with my porley english, but I'l try it:

One important point is from which URL the user logged in. The URL
defined the place he/she was directet to. For example:
mydomain1.com -> /sites/my1/
mydomain2.org -> /sites/my2/
(its defined by the opencms-system.xml file.)

If I see it right, so has this configuration a higher priority than the
"start with site" option in the userpreferences. When our user "Karl" is
involved in the project my1 and logged in by an URL linking to
mydomain2.org than he was directed to /sites/my2, has no access and an
error occured.
Ok, normaly that should be not a big problem ... the most people will
access the system by their own URLs.

A bit more interessting is the next fact:

An example:
We have the two folders:
/sites/newes
/sites/events

For every folder is a separate group responsible: a group NEWS for the
news and a group  EVENTS for the events. Only the group EVENTS has the
permission to access to the corresponding event folder and only the
group NEWS has access two the news folder - very simple ;-)

This scenario I can implement if and only if I add both groups to any of
the folders and admit access for the corresponding group (NEWS for news,
EVENTS for events) and deny access for the other one (NEWS for events,
EVENTS for news).

If I do so, I get the correct behaviour! But this approach has a big
drawback: All the groups created until now or in the future in the
opencms has to add to every protected folder ! It's stupid, extensive,
long winded and - error-prone!

I tried to solve this by using the Group Users. All the users created in
opencms are members of these group. I thought if I deny access for the
group Users and allow access for the group according to the folder, that
this could be an good solution, but the ACL is very restrict! DENY is
higher than ALLOW!

Every user logging into the cms is member of Users! If now the group
Users has no access than this user has no access too, also if he is
member of an other group which should have access to that folder.

Is there perhaps a solution for that, which I havn't seen? A little
option to set, or button to click ... ?
It would be very usefull!

Greetings
Anatol