[opencms-dev] Site-DropDown-Menu

Wolfgang Winzer wwinzer at ka-dus.de
Wed Jun 8 16:12:49 CEST 2005

Hi Anatol,

I think I understand your problem now. And I still stick with my
proposed solution. I must emphasize though that I am no expert and
neither did I confirm it through tests ;-)

I imagine it happens like this: When a user (let's call him "Karl" )
logs into opencms, the system checks Karls settings in order to
determine where to let him start in the VFS. Karls settings say "start
with /sites/default/" (that's what you need to change!), so it tries to
show him /sites/default but fails because he ain't got the permission
(you took away from him). Of course the drop-down-box showing your
location doesn't care and still shows /sites/default/ as Karls location.
Only when he leaves this location does it vanish because you removed it
from opencms-system.xml.

I bet you created Karl BEFORE you changed the opencms-system.xml, right?
Well no matter, log in as Karl and change his settings as I already
described in my first answer, that should do the trick:
Start from Workplace > open "Preferences" (Hammer) > Workplace Tab > Set
"Start with site" to "/"

Any user created AFTER your changes in opencms-system.xml should by
default have his setting  "Start with site" set to "/sites/other", so
another way would be to delete all old users and set up new ones. (just
my guess)

Good luck
Wolfgang