[opencms-dev] 6.0.0 Install problem (& solution) - X windows access attempt

Jeffrey Perry jeff at itasoftware.com
Fri Jul 8 01:06:01 CEST 2005

It would probably be a good idea to add something about the following
issue to the release notes. In release 6.0 rc2 I did not see the problem
- course it could be some random weirdness here that caused it but it
seems to be a change from 6.0 rc2 - I did confirm I can still install
6.0rc2 without any problems.

When I try to install 6.0.0 - I answer all the questions, choose to
install all modules, then it begins installing and displaying progress
messages. At some point the window I used (as root) to install the war
file into the right place prints an X authentication error (indicating
it wanted to open a window but could not) and Tomcat crashes.

Apparently something in the install process now wants to open a window
or make use of a library that causes an access attempt under X windows.
Release candidate 2 did not do this. The reason the X windows call
failed is that I was logged in over ssh (which tunnels X calls) but THEN
became root (which breaks my X authentication). In the end I had to

0) on mymachine - xhost +targetinstallhost
1) ssh to targetinstallhost, su to root
2) export DISPLAY="mymachine:0" (where mymachine is my machine somewhere
else on the network) on the machine I was installing on, then finally
3) Start tomcat and run the install using my browser on mymachine

I hope this helps someone!

--Jeff