[opencms-dev] WYSIWYG - Cleaning up "paste" from MS Word

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Fri Jul 8 04:33:13 CEST 2005

Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> I just had a session with an end user of an OpenCms installation.  I
> was surprised at the number of problems I had. This was my first time
> letting an "ordinary" user near the system.
> I find these sessions very interesting because it exposes flaws that I
> would never spot myself.
>
> I know there are no easy answers to some of the issues presented here,
> but I think it's worth documenting. Most of my problems were relating
> to the  WYSIWYG editor (which I never use myself -- I always work in
> the HTML view).

	<SNIP>

> 2. Next problem: when I do manage to cut/paste successfully (e.g., from
> Outlook or MS Word), far to much unnecessary formatting info gets
> copied. The underlying HTML is riddled with stuff like    < p
> class="MsoNormal"> <span..> <span><!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
> <!--[endif]--><o:p /></span></p> etc etc. I have found when the
> underlying code is full of this rubbish the editor formatting tools
> (e.g., font size selection etc.) does not work reliably. Does anyone have
> suggestions on a set of instructions I can give the end users to avoid
> this kind of problem?

Joe,

	Please read this email:

 From Michael Emmerich, 12 Jan. 2005, "Cut and paste."
	http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2005q1/014658.html

	This incident emphasizes something that I stated in my email a few days
ago: the email archives are simply too hard to search. If they were
easier to search, you could have found the answer to the user's problem
  quickly. If I ever implement an FAQ for OpenCms, I hope to
concurrently solve this problem, too, by making the archives easier to
search. At the moment, however, my plans for accomplishing this task are
  not well defined. I am aware of software that searches email archives
better than the software that Alkacon has chosen to use (for searching
the archives), but am not certain whether that software can pull from
the FAQ database that I am planning. I suppose that I must do further
research.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain