[opencms-dev] https not working

Arian Abrahantes Quintana Arian.Abrahantes.Quintana at cern.ch
Fri Jul 8 16:34:20 CEST 2005

Dear Andras:

Thanks for your help. I think I get the point and I'll try it this weekend. There are some people accessing my resources right now and of course they'll complain if I do something like restart the server a few times to see if everything works.

But, please consider to check what I think after reading your sugestions (I read those of mod_proxy). It'll help me to verify if I understood well.

in Apache configuration (ssl.conf which is included in httpd.conf) I already had a VirtualHost listening to port 443 there I should add something like

ProxyName myproxyserver.cern.ch
ProxyPass         /some/path/to/secure/resources  http://myserver.cern.ch:8443/some/path/to/secure/resources <http://myserver.cern.ch:8443/some/path/to/secure/resources>
ProxyPassReverse  /some/path/to/secure/resources  http://myserver.cern.ch:8443/some/path/to/secure/resources <http://myserver.cern.ch:8443/some/path/to/secure/resources>

So the point would be repeat the usual scheme to proxy request to port 80 but now for the incommng connection through 443. I'll also try to put this lines within the virtual host declared at port 80.

Later in Tomcat add a connector in the following way:

                port="8443" ...
           scheme="https"
           proxyName="myproxyserver.cern.ch"
           proxyPort="443"/>
I think I should keep the setting in opencms.properties since they are used just to set the correct url in internal links (https or http) at publish process, probably I am wrong but that was what I understood. So the whole process of SSL is by apache as I wish it will, am I right?

Well, I'll do the tests this nigth and let you know. If everything works properly I'll send a message to the list with the step-by-step process it might help some rookie like me and it might be attached to the FAQ of opencms.

TIA,

Arian