[opencms-dev] CmsTemplateBean once again!

T Reaves treaves at silverfieldstech.com
Sun Jul 24 21:25:10 CEST 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 5:38 AM, GV wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> after searching the archives I saw few questions regarding
> documentation of
> "templateone" and especially requests for a CmsTemplateBean javadoc
> but no
> real answer was provided!
>
> Is any chance to get something on these topics?
>
> As pointed by other users, templateone seems very useful but without
> documentation leads to a dead end!!! :-(
>
> In a hope that Alkacon will reply to this ...
>
> Thanks

     I think everyone will find that templateone isn't useful for
much other than exploring; it doesn't make a good site, and things
aren't implemented that cleanly.  What do I mean by these two
statements?  I'll explain.

     As to not making a good site, there are two things here to
consider: it's very heavy for almost any real site, and secondly, you
can't really make the site look that much different from every other
site using templateone.  Of course, if neither of these two
considerations you care about, ignore them.

     As to not being clean, this is a little less ambiguous:  there
are just several things they do incorrectly - or poorly - in
templateone. There are areas where properties are read from elements
to configure both look and function, then other areas where things
are hard-coded.  Places where things are hard-coded just don't make
since, as properties would have been just fine.

     It's also important to note that CmsTemplateBean is in a package
for templateone, so that the two go together.

     I don't want anyone to think I'm knocking templateone, as it is
very useful as a learning area; it's just that after a week or so of
playing around with it, any competent developer is going to decide
it's more trouble that it's worth to deploy it, and take what they've
learned from it to create there own template system.  That's what
happened to me, and a few other people I know that use OpenCMS.

     As an interesting aside, I've wondered why people haven't
released their own templates to the community;  I'm working on a very
nice one at the moment, and will be releasing it when finished
(hopefully in another few weeks).