[opencms-dev] Problems with Apache & tomcat & OpenCms as root

T Reaves treaves at silverfieldstech.com
Thu Aug 4 05:33:32 CEST 2005

Hello all.

I have OpenCms 6 setup as root on two machines: my server, and now,
my workstation.  My server works fine, and I can do everything I'm
supposed to be able to.  Great. My workstation I'm having trouble
with.  On my workstation, when I get the login page (/system/login/)
and enter my username/passowrd and hit enter, I am redirected back to
the same page.  Not to the admin console.

My workstation is running different software; tomcat 5.5 instead of
5.0 is the biggest difference.  My server is Apache2 2.0.49 and my
workstation is 2.0.52.  Both were set up using the instructions in
the docs.  I'm using dns to three domains on my server, and three
near-matching dev domains on my workstation.

Now, if in opencms-system.xml I use <workplace-server>http://
localhost:8080</workplace-server> instead of <workplace-server>http://
myLocalSite</workplace-server>, I can login.  But the trouble is that
now my admin console is using tomcat directly and as context in the
URL, so absolute references (like for CSS * JS) no longer work.

So I think the issue may be with the apache proxy, but I'm using the
exact same config file, with only root directory and hostname (to
match my dev machine) different. Another reason I suspect the proxy
is that when I use the localhost:8080, apache stops logging access
requests when I log in, whereas the myLocalSite continues to show the
requests.

I'd be very appreciative if someone could & would help with this.

Thanks.