[opencms-dev] accessing resources in opencms through https. Simple Solution.

Arian Abrahantes Quintana Arian.Abrahantes.Quintana at cern.ch
Thu Aug 11 17:43:41 CEST 2005

dear list members:

After a few weeks studying the case this is the solution I was able to find in https opencms. I'll like to thank  Andras Balogh and his suggestions (http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2005q3/018246.html). I'll also appreciate any suggestion on this issue. Is there a way to make static resources on APACHE (documents not directly under tomcat but "one level above" or "at the same level") be managed (protected by the users and groups) by opencms, syncronization may be? -but it was meant for speed up the page updates using your preffered html editor-

so https...

General environment: Opencms 5.0, Apache 2, Tomcat 4.1.29, connection to tomcat through mod_proxy

After everything is up and running over http (follow description in
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/proxy-howto.html
; just configure Apache to listen https request in default port, or wherever you want, and apply the same procedure regarding ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse as for port 80 in the virtual host in charge of https protocol. I achieved a secure connection to my web resources without major changes in opencms (mostly none). The procedure as stated in the opencms documentation didn't work for me. I am attaching an example of the virtualhost declaration in port 80. I am using the almost-default configuration after the installation of opencms

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName your.server.com
UseCanonicalName off
CacheDisable *
ProxyPass /opencms/ http://your.server.com:8089/opencms/ <http://your.server.com:8089/opencms/>
ProxyPass /resources/ http://your.server.com:8089/resources/ <http://pcaliweb02.cern.ch:8089/resources/>
ProxyPass /export/ http://your.server.com:8089/export/ <http://pcaliweb02.cern.ch:8089/export/>
ProxyPass /formmail http://your.server.com:8089/formmail <http://your.server.com:8089/formmail>

ProxyPass /  http://your.server.com:8089/opencms/ <http://pcaliweb02.cern.ch:8089/opencms/>
ProxyPassReverse /  http://your.server.com:8089/opencms/ <http://pcaliweb02.cern.ch:8089/opencms/>
</VirtualHost>

so for https the proxypass remains the same but the directives of SSL must be added of course.

Hope somebody might finds it helpfull and please let me know if there is some hole on the system.

arian