[opencms-dev] RE: opencms-dev Digest, Vol 55, Issue 3

Geoff Winkless opencms at geoff.dj
Wed Aug 24 15:09:21 CEST 2005

Tim Howland wrote:
> Be aware that usually those virtual linux servers also put a limit on
> the total number of processes running, and under those virtualized
> servers, Java threads appear as individual processes. When I tried to
> do it, I hit the process ceiling (120 processes) as I was importing
> the workspace, causing the installation to blow up spectacularly.
> This was a hidden surprise for me, and led me to eventually buy my
> own server at dreamhost instead.

That doesn't make a lot of sense: if it's anything like the deal I have
the box is essentially a User-mode linux "box" to which you have full
access, I don't believe there's anything about processes in my T&Cs. It
might be that you have some user limits set but if you have root access
you should be able to change those.

To the OP: I'd be surprised if 64MB were enough: the default "maximum
memory" setting for the Java VM is 64MB (IIRC) and I had to increase it
when uploading a large(ish - only 8MB) file on a fairly low-use server.
You might get away with it though.

Might be worth looking at one of the cheaper "real" hosting providers,
how much are you paying for your virtual host?

Geoff