[opencms-dev] opencms search functionality problem

Achim Westermann a.westermann at alkacon.com
Fri Sep 9 16:34:54 CEST 2005

Hi Navaneethan,

I hope I understood your problem as you didn't specify the index you search and the UI you are using
for searching.

I assume your problem is related to search roots.
OpenCms behaviour: Search results are limited to ressources under the current site root.
If you have an index which only indexed ressources below "/system/locales/de/help/" (configured in
.../WEB-INF/config/opencms-search.xml, <indexsource>) and try to search this index from site
"/sites/default" it does not work. This behaviour avoids that online web users get to view search
result documents of ressources the cannot (and should not) access.

What you described seems the other way round (a guess as I don't know your search configuration) but
I was not able to verify that behaviour.

If you develop a custom search jsp you could set the site root before you initiate search and then
switch back but keep in mind, that this will give results that might not be accessible. For the
workplace admin view indeed this could be done: The admin view does not show content and therefore
site selection should not impose visibility constraints on search.

kind regards,

Achim

Achim Westermann
Alkacon Software