[opencms-dev] Migrating Oracle DB and XML content in OpenCms VFS

Thomas Maerz thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Wed Sep 14 17:23:30 CEST 2005

seema pai <seemasandeeppai at gmail.com> writes:

>  My application is running on Coldfusion. Now we plan to use OpenCms to
> manage content for the web site. I would like to know how to use OpenCms
> features in case the existing database contains news, press, faq contents
> but now be made available on OpenCms VFS without extra java application
> migration effort? I plan to use XML content definition (Articles, FAQ, News
> as in version 6.0 sandbox available) where the contents are published in VFS
> and available as HTML files for end user.
> Oracle DB has alreay lot of data and I want to know how to have them on VFS
> as individual static html files /XML contents ..
> Pls let me know if anyone has tried similar task or have any idea how to go
> about it.

I'd create the XML content definitions so that your old data can also be
represented by them. Then create some data in OpenCms and take a look at
the controlcode. Then I'd convert my existing data to XML-files
according to your XML content definitions.

(Export some files via DB-export, unzip the file and take a look at the
manifest.xml.)

Then you'd create your file and folder structure and modify your
manifest.xml to set e. g. the correct resource type. Then zip the files
and import them via DB-import.

Or hire someone to write your old content to OpenCms.

Regards,
Thomas