AW: [opencms-dev] General Query

Kai Schliemann k.schliemann at comundus.com
Fri Sep 16 10:34:03 CEST 2005

Hi Jones,

Well, one feature of OpenCMS is the static export. This means, that OpenCms
exports all static content (images, pdfs, plain html) from the VFS (virtual
file system) to the RFS (real file system). The special about this is, that
those file are not exported until they are requested for the first time.
This is done by the static export handler build in OpenCms.

> If it does not manage such content (without custom coding), how does an
> organization normally convert a large intranet and internet (with several
> sub-domains in both classes) to this setup?
I can't tell you here in detail but anyway a few words here.
You have to create a template which includes your navigation and content
area(s)...
If you have a static web site, you can use the html import module shipped
with OpenCms. It will automatically import your html pages, pictures... to
the correct places. (e.g. pictures are stored in galleries and are imported
to these galleries).
If you have another cms where you get your content from, it of depends on
this system too. If it is database driven I would consider writing a piece
of software which gets the content from one database and copies it to the
other.
Of course you have to consider some more points. But this is just for giving
you an overview.

HTH

Regards

Kai Schliemann
IT-Consultant

comundus IT-Beratung GmbH
Schüttelgrabenring 3, 71332 Waiblingen

Tel:    +49 (0) 71 51-5 00 28-0   Fax: -99

www.comundus.com  www.comundus-e-quality.com