[opencms-dev] DTDs for configuration files

Jason Trump jason.trump at brulant.com
Mon Oct 3 16:35:40 CEST 2005

You might want to examine the code of
org.opencms.xml.CmsXmlEntityResolver, as this is what looks up DTDs for
config documents parsed at runtime.  You'll see that the
http://www.opencms.org/dtd/... URLs are generally substituted for local
classpath resources at runtime.  This is a fairly common practice.

What XML development tools are you using?  Most XML editors allow you to
do the same thing: associate system id URLs with resources on the local
filesystem, in the event that you are working without an internet
connection or something like that.  Generally changing the DOCTYPE decl
is not required (and probably not recommended...)

Finally, I think if you really did want to change your system id to
something like "/path/to/file.dtd", you probably at least need to
include a URL scheme like "file:///path/to/file.dtd" (of course, I
haven't tried this, so I can't say that it will work.)

Good luck,
jason