[opencms-dev] Feature request/proposal: pure static export

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:26:46 CEST 2005

Sometimes it's nice to have a 100% static version of a site for the
following reasons:

  * It allows front facing servers to operate with Apache and nothing else
  * You can make a CD-ROMs of a site
  * Emergency backup of an OpenCms installation -- should the database
or other major component fail, you can temporarily deploy a static
version of the site while you repair the problem.

What's needed is a "Static Publish" button, which will write a copy of
the site to a URI. That can be a location on the local file system, an
FTP server or other mechanism (eg rsync etc).

If there is nothing like this available I'll probably go ahead and
write it over the next few weeks, but I'd like to know if anyone has
tackled this problem first.

Regards,

Joe.