[opencms-dev] OpenCms6.0.0 on IBM WebSphere 5.1

Thomas Matal thomas.matal at de.ibm.com
Fri Oct 7 10:57:23 CEST 2005

Hi list,
recently there have been some mailings about experiences on how to run
OpenCms 6.0 on WebSphere. Good news - we solved all problems found on this
platform and verified it with JUnit-Tests.
There are some things which you have to take care of:
1 modification in org.opencms.workplace.CmsWorkplace.sendCmsRedirect:
changed Redirect to Forward . If you do not change this, some pages will
not be displayed, such as advanced properties. The reason behind is, that
WebSphere does not do Redirects from included pages. Alex knows this issue
and it will hopefully be included in the next version :-) Thanks Alex for
debugging.
2 WAR installation: standard procedure with WebSphere(choose opencms as
context root)
3 if you use JSTL: replace JSTL1.1 JARs with JSTL 1.0 versions (replace in
lib directory: jstl1.1.2.jar and standard1.1.5.2.jar with jstl.jar and
standard.jar)
4 enforce UTF-8 encoding: Server->Process Definition->JVM-> Generic JVM
arguments: -Dclient.encoding.override=UTF-8 (elese some problems wih german
Umlaute)
5 resolve version conflict org.apache.oro.text.util by putting
jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar "in front" in the classloader hierarchy: WebSphere
Console-> server -> Process Defintions -> JVM -> classpath =
pathToAppServer\installedApps\C992VVAA\opencms_war.ear\opencms.war\WEB-INF\lib\jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar
 (else some problems with adding new resources)
6 because of the modification 1 above some cache settings have to be done
in OpenCms: set cache property to "bypass" for the following pages:
system/workplace/commons/property*.jsp, /editors/editor_main.jsp
7 the log outputs go to the standard log file; you can configure
tracing/debugging in WebSphere  Adminconsole (-> Troubleshooting -> Logging
and Tracing -> Server;  Diagnostic Trace-> Configuration; Trace
specification: org.opencms.*=all=enabled)
8 on Unix we had the problem, that some JSPs in the folder
/system/editors/, which were not declared JSPs in OpenCms, such as
mainpage.txt were not written to the AppServer file system under some
circumstances. As a workaround you have to copy all *.txt files in
/system/workplace/editors/ to the file system.

Over all we had no other problems and found the system to be rather fast
and stable(also on standard PCs). So I wish you good luck for your
installations on WebSphere!

Thomas