[opencms-dev] quickest way to backup/restore state of opencms?

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Mon Nov 21 09:21:53 CET 2005

Chris -

I think the whole state of a OpenCMS installation is comprised of the MySQL
database instance (which you can back up using mysqldump), the expanded web
app in your Tomcat installation's 'webapps' folder, and maybe stuff in your
Tomcat installation's 'work' folder.  This has worked for me so far, and
I've been able to store all this in a zip archive (using an Ant task) and
then restore it all back again later after screwing things up.

A few caveats: (i) there may be things I'm missing; (ii) this doesn't
include any other files you might have caused OpenCMS to write through
customisation or whatever; (iii) in development you might need to edit
Tomcat configuration files (in ${TOMCAT_HOME}/'conf') or MySQL
configuration, and you'd probably want to capture these too; (iv) this
approach works fine for a development installation of OpenCMS, but for a
production one you'd have to think more carefully about locking things down
before snapshotting or restoring application state like this.

Jon