[opencms-dev] Configuration wizard fails on FC4 / MySQL

Michael Powell mwpowell at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 22 01:31:35 CET 2005

For the benefit of others here. I was able to resolve this issue with changes to the configuration of SElinux that is delivered with Fedora Core 4. Although SElinux was delivered with FC3 as well, it was only limited to a few daemon processes. In FC4 it acts as protection for MySQL and prohibits the connections to the mysqld (even for localhost).

You must change SElinux configuration options to allow connections to the mysqld. I temporarily disabled my SElinux by making changes to the 'config' file in the /etc/selinux directory.

I changed following line:
SELINUX = enforcing
to read....
SELINUX = disabled

So my config file is as follows:

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#       strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

Please note that this disables SElinux and you will need to change specific mysql settings for SElinux when you change it back to 'enforcing' mode. But at least this is a temporary fix for the install of OpenCMS.

Many thanks to Christof for your suggestions and putting me on the right path to looking into what was blocking the mysql connection. The remainder of the config wizard worked great!

Mike