[opencms-dev] understanding that Site listbox

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Nov 25 12:11:50 CET 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:47:15AM +0100, Code Create, Bernd Wolfsegger wrote:
> "Sites" and "projects" in OpenCms are two completely different concepts and
> got nothing to do with each other.
> A "project" is just a grouping of ressources, so you can have many projects
> inside a site :) But it's also possible to make a site a project, just by
> adding all site resources to a specified project.
> Though the other way round, I think it is no good idea to have many sites
> inside one project...
> A site is defined in the opencms-system.xml in the sites node.

OK. fine. But what is this Site listbox good for? I see no sense
flipping from / to /sites/default and nothing happening.

Also, what is the sense of Offline and Online Projects?

I have created a new project, imported a .zip file from a 5.0 site,
and now I see all these files in every project. When I switch between Offline,
Online, MyProject, everytime the system takes a deep breath and lists
all my imported files (View Files for Project).

Can anyone explain, why in the View of files for Project
in Offline and Online a flag and a lock ist applied to the files, while in
MyProject and kuku (an older project I created some time ago)
these locks and flags are not shown?

Are Offline and Online "special" projects? (the names suggest this :-).

Excuse my ignorant questions but I'm trying to understand all this.