[opencms-dev] understanding that Site listbox

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Fri Nov 25 12:27:56 CET 2005

Christoph,

About projects:

There is only on special project, the online project.
When you access resources from OpenCms without logging in, you will
always access the online project. Those are the resources that are
visible on the website.

The offline project (or any other project) is only accessible when you
login the system. You can only edit resources in an offline project. You
changes will not be visible to the outside until you publish your
project (or the resources), this will copy them to the online project
and makes them visible to those people accessing the website.

Please note that in a normal OpenCms installation, resources are
delivered dynamically from the online project and that it is not
required to make a static export (in may cases, static export is not
possible when you are talking about dynamic content)

About sites:

One OpenCms can maintain several websites, so you can have different
sites in one OpenCms installation. So you can configure different
vritual hosts in your apache, and let then point to the different sites
within OpenCms. Those sited could be edited by different groups of
content editors, by setting the access rights to them the right way.

Regards,
Michael Emmerich

Alkacon Software -  The OpenCms Exprerts