[opencms-dev] including word documents in opencms pages

Jon Mayes jon.mayes at pegasus-homes.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 17:30:35 CET 2006

Hi all,

I am in the process of publishing a large number of word documents on
our intranet. I was going to do this by saving each word document using
the filtered html option in word, then including the resulting file in a
JSP page i.e. placing each respective document in a subdirectory
containing an index.jsp file containing template information, and using
the include directive to embed the word document within the page. Here's
the code in case that's ambiguous:

<code>

    cms.include(template, "head");

    out.println("<div class=\"worddoc\">");

    cms.include("document.htm");

    out.println("</div>");

    cms.include(template, "foot");

</code>

And the file structure:

manuals/title1/index.jsp

manuals/title1/document.htm

manuals/title2/index.jsp

manuals/title2/document.htm

manuals/title3/index.jsp

manuals/title3/document.htm

where the index.jsp files are all siblings.

This works fine (with some fiddling with the CSS), but when I use the
search function it's picking out the document.htm file in each instance
- so that when a user clicks the search result link the document appears
without the site template, which obviously is bad for user experience
due to inconsistency.

The way I've done this seems like a rather inelegant solution, so I was
wondering if anyone knows of a better way in which I could accomplish
the same thing, or at least a method I could employ such that the
template is preserved throughout the search results.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon Mayes

Jon Mayes
Marketing & Business Systems
Pegasus Retirement Homes plc
Tel:
Fax:
Email: jon.mayes at pegasus-homes.co.uk

For more information on Pegasus please visit our web site at www.pegasus-homes.co.uk

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.  If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.  In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.  Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.