[opencms-dev] FW: OpenCms Java API

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:46:22 CET 2006

>From your message it is not clear to me what you trying to do.

Accessing content and metadata within OpenCms is reasonably easy.

However it sounds like you are trying to write a stand alone
application to read data from the VFS. It's going to be difficult to
access data in the VFS outside of the OpenCms environment. For it to
work, all sorts of things need to up and running (database
connections, etc etc).

Alternatives that I can think of:

* Write a JSP script within OpenCms to do what you want (no need to
worry about classpaths -- just "import" the class or package you
require).
* Write an OpenCms module
* Use static export to export the parts of the VFS you are interested
in to a real file system and read them as ordinary files (you won't
have access to metadata this way unfortunately)
* Use a JSP script or module to act as a web service to relay content
and metadata  on demand via XML or other format to your application.
* Look at the database schema and read content directly from the database

Joe.