[opencms-dev] retreiving content resources by property

Osama Abu Elsorour osama at wayout.net
Tue Jan 17 17:47:53 CET 2006

Hello all

We are building an OpenCMS based news website whereby articles will be
displayed. An article would typically contain a title, author, date,
section, etc. This article is implemented in XML content.

The problem is the following: if I want, for example, in a full article view
to get the "latest articles written by this author", how can this be done?

The solution I thought of was by building a custom collector for my articles
that can filter them by a custom property called "author-name" for example.

I have worked with other CMS software and this capability comes out of the
box: you can query the system for pieces of content based on metadata
(a.k.a. properties) values. For example: get me all articles with property
author-name=abc (or even use wildcards)

Is this already available? Or do I have to build the collector? If it is
available, how do I do it?

Thanks a lot.