[opencms-dev] contents translations

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Mar 1 16:21:52 CET 2006

> Hi,
>
> It is possible for each of the pages to have multiple translations
> (in XML this is implemented with `language' attribute.)  I have found
> that the translation can be chosen like this:
>
> 	http://.../site/page.html?__locale=de
>
> Is it possible to code the locale somewhere in the path instead of
> GET attributes without Apache mod_rewrite?  I.e. I would like address
>
> 	http://.../site/de/page.html
>
> display the German translation.
>
> Thanks,
>   Paul

Yes. You can have more than one "sibling" with a common group of bodies behind.
"Sibling" means that you have various filenames with individual attributes, but pointing to shared content.

If you set the locale for one of these siblings or for a folder on a higher level, then the locale ist chosen correctly just by calling this sibling without parameters.

Problem is: you have two paths e.g. /de/ for German and /en/ English
At first this is easy, beause you create a link to another folder and Opencms will create new siblings for anything below.
So if you create /de/ by making a link to /en/
then you also get /de/page.html pointing to the same body as /en/page.html

But if you create new pages under /en/ they won't appear as well under /de/
So to me this technique seems to be a good idea, but still incomplete.

But that is the only mechanism that exists for this in Opencms.

Regards
C.